We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
If you ask avid indoor flower lovers - what kind of home flower is the best to decorate the interior of your home with, then most of them will answer "this flower of Babian". But, if you see this flower, truly beautiful in its brightness and color, then you will not be able to tear yourself away from it immediately.
- Description of the plant
- Types of babiana
- What you need to know about leaving
- Babian pests
Description of the plant
Babiana has its roots in South Africa. It owes its name to monkeys - baboons, who with great pleasure use its roots as their delicacy. But for many years it has become so entrenched in our country that it can be found in almost every gardener who is anxious about his brainchild.
This is a tuber-bulbous plant with elongated leaves drooping down and bright flowers iridescent in the sun. But besides its beauty and variety of colors, the Babian flower is also famous for the fact that it does not require special care.
The plant can grow up to 25 centimeters in height. The stems are both simple and branched. With its leaves, which are located in five pieces on each stem, Babiana partially resembles a gladiolus. The same elastic and covered with whitish villi. Flowers, as already mentioned, have a varied color, but most of all linden blossom prevails. The petals are oval in size, and, as a rule, there are six pieces.
Types of babiana
- Babiana folded (Babiana plicata) - this variety does not reach more than 20 centimeters. Its leaves are hairy and rise up to the inflorescence, which resembles a peak in its tip. Folded Babiana can be pale blue or purple. There is also a white folded Babiana, whose flowers have yellow and purple spots. The smell of folded Babiana resembles the smell of cloves. This kind is dissolved only in the spring.
- Red - blue Babiana (Babiana rubrocyanea) - the growth of this species, like that of the folded, does not exceed 20 centimeters. Blooms at the end of winter. It has thin hairy leaves with veins protruding. The color of the flower is purple-blue, moving closer to the center, it changes to red.
- Sticking out Babiana (Babiana stricata) - unlike the previous two species, sticking out Babiana reaches 25 centimeters in height, and grows in a short time. But the plant itself is rather unkempt, with hairy leaves on which veins protrude, and inflorescences branched with cup-shaped flowers. The flowers are blue, white and purple. Sometimes you come across a sticking out babiana with cream-colored flowers.
What you need to know about leaving
In general, the plant does not require special conditions for planting and care. But there are also mandatory aspects, non-observance of which will lead to his death:
- How to choose the right place. Due to her African origin, Babiana loves bright light very much, hence it follows that you should put a pot with it near the window. But, at the same time, do not forget that it is very afraid of frost. Therefore, the window should be insulated, or put a flower on it only in the summer. Desirable window exit to the west or east. Separately, it should be said that the pot for Babiana should be narrow and deep. There should be a hole at the bottom. To fill it, you need a universal earth mixture used for indoor plants. Given the plant's preferences for air permeability and moisture capacity, a little sand can be added to the composition.
- What temperature is needed? The ideal temperature for Babiana is between 22 and 28 degrees.
- How to water properly? Immediately after planting, Babiana requires a lot of water. Dry air has a detrimental effect on the flower, so it is necessary to spray its leaves every other day. Thus, maintain moisture for it. It will not be superfluous to alternate spraying with watering. In the summer, watering alone will not be enough, and the only measure will be to immerse the flower pot in a container of water. The plant will absorb as much water as it needs.
- How to fertilize? In order for the plant to please you with its beauty, it needs to be fertilized periodically. Once a month, this should be done with the help of mineral fertilizers, necessarily containing fluorine and potassium. Sometimes mineral fertilizers do not hurt to alternate with organic ones.
- Do you need a transplant? A transplant for the plant is required regularly. In cases where the pot becomes cramped, a larger container is selected. If the size of the flower does not change, then it is enough to simply update the contents of the pot.
- How does it multiply? Reproduction takes place thanks to the tubers of the plant. When they are formed, they must be separated from the plant, dried and stored until spring comes.
There is still the possibility of seed propagation, but this process takes a very long time and requires much more trouble.
Babiana is susceptible to constant attacks of pests. You can find out about this by the spots on the plant, and the presence of cobwebs on the stems.
- Spider mite
In addition to insects, diseases are dangerous to the plant (for example, gladiolus trip, root rash). As well as excessive / insufficient watering and low air temperature in the room. This can be understood by changing the appearance of the leaves and stem.
Video rating of the most beautiful indoor flowers: