We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cucumber is a vegetable that is familiar to all people. By sticking to them, you can reap an excellent harvest.
- Plant features
- Seed preparation
- Germinating seeds
- Growing seedlings
- Soil preparation and planting
- What should be the care for cucumbers?
Cucumber is an annual plant that belongs to the pumpkin family. It grows a rough stem, on which antennae appear. With their help, he clings to the support and is able to stretch up to 2 meters. The foliage is heart-shaped. The fruits turn green. They emit a pleasant aroma and take on an oblong shape. Once ripe, flat seeds can be harvested.
Cucumber is a healthy vegetable. It is often recommended by nutritionists. The vegetable has a positive effect on the digestive system, bowel function. Frequent consumption of cucumber improves heart and kidney health. Doctors advise drinking cucumber juice, as it can cleanse the joints. It has a positive effect on the oral cavity. It is used in cosmetology as it helps in cleansing and whitening the skin.
There are many varieties of cucumbers. They are divided into 3 types:
- Greenhouse varieties
- Outdoor cucumbers
Before planting, you should carefully study the varieties and choose the necessary seeds. Initially, they need to be prepared. To do this, they warm up and germinate. Warming up allows you to disinfect the seeds, which reduces the risk of diseases during the growing of the plant. This procedure is recommended to be carried out a couple of months before the planned planting.
To start warming up, it is worth placing the seeds in cheesecloth and hanging them near a battery or other heat source. Before sowing, it is worth germinating the seeds. In addition, it is necessary to take into account such nuances when choosing seed:
- Ripening terms. There are varieties that ripen sooner or later.
- It is necessary to choose varieties that are intended for outdoor cultivation.
- Hybridity. The bred hybrids are much less susceptible to diseases. But almost all varieties are not suitable for further collection for seed material.
- The purpose of growing a crop.
- Cucumber care preferences. Some varieties prefer moist soil, while others thrive on dry soil.
Before you start planting seeds, you need to prepare and germinate them. To do this, you should adhere to a certain sequence:
- The seeds are sorted. The largest seed should be selected from the collected seed material. As practice shows, it is they that are of the highest quality. They are immersed in saline solution (3%) for a quarter of an hour.
- The seeds are disinfected. Those seeds that have surfaced should be thrown away. And all the rest are washed and left in a solution of wood ash for 5-6 hours.
- After that, you can start warming up, which was mentioned above. The seeds warm up for a day.
In the end, you can start germinating seed. It is wrapped in a cloth and placed in a nitrophoska solution for half a day. After washing, the seeds are left on a damp cloth. Top it is worth covering them. The air temperature should not fall below 23 degrees. After the last procedure, the seeds will swell, but they should not germinate. They can be planted when the root reaches half the length of the seed.
Sprouted seeds can be immediately placed in the soil. But it is recommended to initially grow seedlings. In this way, fruits will begin to appear faster. Seedlings planted should be illuminated for about 12 hours a day.
Video about growing cucumbers in the open field:
The landing procedure implies the following sequence:
- Containers are being prepared. They can be made of plastic, paper, peat.
- Soil with humus is placed in them
- Seeds go deep into the soil to a depth of no more than 3 cm
- Growing seedlings lasts for a month
- Before planting sprouts in open ground, 3-4 full-fledged leaves should appear on them
Soil preparation and planting
Before planting cucumbers, the soil must be prepared in the autumn period. For this, the following manipulations are carried out:
- Dig up the ground
- If the acidity of the soil is too high, then it is necessary to reduce it. For this, slaked lime, chalk, peat ash or other materials are added
- Organic is introduced
- Mineral fertilizers are added
In the spring, when the earth has dried up, it is worthwhile to start forming the beds. Organic fertilizers are added to the soil. To warm up the earth, it is covered with a transparent film. When it starts to soar, then you can start planting cucumbers.
You can plant cucumbers in your garden with seedlings or seeds. There should be at least 20 cm between each bush. Cucumbers need support when they begin to grow. To do this, pegs are inserted into the ground through which the lace is pulled. When the plants begin to grow, they are tied to such a structure. Support is created in such an easy way.
What should be the care for cucumbers?
To reap a good harvest, you should adhere to simple rules for the care of the crop. To get high-quality fruits, it is worth making sure that there are no more than 20 ovaries on one bush. Thinning is necessary 2 times. The first time this procedure is carried out when the first leaf appears, and the second time - after the formation of 4 leaves. For fruit to set, pollination must take place. Experienced gardeners attract insects for this. To do this, spraying with a solution with honey.
When thinning is carried out, it is worth loosening. But the main thing is not to damage the root system. It is systematically worth weeding. So that the water does not stagnate, it is necessary to spud the earth. This will reduce the likelihood of illness.
To oxygenate the soil, you need to mulch it with sawdust or straw. In addition, this manipulation retains the necessary moisture and heat. As soon as the cucumbers grow, remember to tie up the plant. The hosts must maintain the required temperature. To prevent the plant from dying, during the day the temperature should not drop below 22 degrees, and at night - below 12. But even in too hot weather, cucumbers stop developing.
So, in order to harvest a good harvest of cucumbers, you need to familiarize yourself with the rules for planting and growing this crop. This is a simple procedure. Considering all the recommendations, you can achieve the development of a full-fledged plant, which will thank you for taking care of high-quality fruits.